MAP’s Internship program is primarily designed for undergraduates or graduate students who have a desire to gain practical work and research-related experience. Here, students learn how their course of study applies to the real world and can build a valuable experience that makes them stronger candidates for jobs after graduation.
You will have the opportunity to work with the nation’s top professionals in our field. The diversity of backgrounds and expertise among MAP stakeholders offers excellent opportunities for peer learning, personal growth, and development.
Internships are available year-round and generally last for at least three (3) months.
Public Policy Intern
Research and examine data regarding MAP programming and legislative priorities.
Responsibilities are likely to include:
- Attend and summarize hearings and briefings as needed; on the Hill, if based in DC;
- Attend and summarize briefings and events hosted by MAP stakeholders;
- Research legislative action that affects the MAP community;
- Provide support for meetings and briefings at MAP and on the Hill, if based in DC, including: scheduling, tracking RSVPs, developing and assembling materials, supporting staff and writing summaries;
- Update the MAP website and online profiles with legislative, member, and program updates as necessary.
These and other assigned duties will be designed to support you in gaining the following knowledge, skills and abilities for obtaining future employment:
- Familiarity with tools available for Congressional research;
- An introduction to professionalism and DC engagement etiquette;
- Familiarity with advocacy strategy implementation and experience using a variety of advocacy tactics;
- Understanding of the pressing issues within the NGO space and a variety of areas of work for MAP's members;
- Increased network of contacts and an improved resume.
Qualifications and competencies of the ideal candidate:
- Superb verbal and written communication skills to communicate with multiple audiences;
- Must be currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate programs;
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and, if applicable, remotely;
- Commitment to work at least 15-20 hours per week;
- Demonstrated ability to manage tasks and meet deadlines;
- Commitment to team work;
- Strong computer skills (including Microsoft Word and Excel);
- Ability to both work cooperatively with others and to work independently.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line containing: Public Policy Intern. Due to the expected volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Travel and Events Intern
The primary assignment of the Travel and Events Intern is assist in organizing two adventure events (one is international) and local events – primarily in the Philadelphia region, coordinating travel arrangements, and providing administrative support to the organization. This is a rare and exciting opportunity to work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors. Click here to learn more about MAP’s Adventure Team.
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated individual who can work both independently and as part of the team to assist with the development and coordination of outdoor, extreme sports events in remote areas abroad and who enjoys working in a challenging environment.
- Assists with program logistics including event management, vendor communication, and project implementation
- Conducts research on administrative matters related to travel and events (visa requirements, travel regulations, potential vendors, etc.)
- Maintains and update electronic records and databases
- Performs administrative tasks, including but not limited to, file maintenance and proofing, developing and printing program materials
- Support other staff as required
- Possesses or pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in business studies, hospitality, event management, or a related field
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office, including experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Foreign language proficiency in Spanish preferred (For international logistics), but not required
- Experience working with adaptive athletes preferred, but required
- Ability to work at least 20 hours per week; the internship tenure is at least 3 months
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line containing: Travel and Events Intern. Due to the expected volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Finance & Accounting Intern
MAP seeks an unpaid Finance & Accounting Intern interested in developing his/her financial and accounting, skills. This role will work mainly with the Executive Director to monitor and manage day-to-day Finance activities and is responsible for responding to general department inquiries and providing administrative and accounting support as well as designated projects as identified. This internship is based in Philadelphia and we expect a minimum of 16 hours per week.
- Assist with general accounting (transaction data entry level processing);
- Prepare various budget files for upload assuring completeness and accuracy of each file;
- Prepare various transactions files needed to complete financial reports required by different budget owners;
- Prepare various accounting schedules and reconciliations, participate in the month end close process;
- Assist in the creation of various financial reports to be included in the dashboards of budget owners;
- Assist in preparing monthly, quarterly and semi-annual reports may be required;
- Respond to general inquiries or direct to appropriate finance and accounting staff as needed.
- Obtained or obtaining a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, and/or Business Administration;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel. Experience with Accounting software strongly encouraged;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to provide strong customer service;
- Must be detail-oriented, well-organized, with the ability to manage multiple projects & priorities simultaneously;
- Able to exercise effective judgment, sensitivity, creativity to changing needs and situation;
- Ability to work effectively with employees/members in dealing with confidential issues;
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line containing: Finance and Accounting Intern. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until internship is filled. No phone calls please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Social Media & Communications Intern
The selected candidate will be responsible for assisting MAP in the development and implementation of all communications efforts including print, broadcast, internet and social media.
- Collaborate with staff on ideas and tools for marketing and communications, as well as designing and implementing social media plans
- Perform research to find articles, stories, resources or other content relevant to MAP;
- Provide creative support for major events and marketing projects, which may include designing flyers and social media graphics;
- Draft and edit content for MAP communications and publications;
- Help maintain MAP social media accounts;
- Help maintain the MAP online calendar and provide website support as needed;
- Evaluate engagement and effectiveness of communications through MAP's online channels;
- Provide event support as needed;
- Other duties, digital media and research projects as skill-set allows.
EDUCATION / SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Active enrollment in an undergraduate program in English, Communications, Public Relations or Journalism (or closely related field)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing professional environment, managing multiple projects and deadlines
- Must be enthusiastic, self-motivated, detail-oriented and be able to prioritize, problem solve and complete projects in accordance to directions given
- Excellent writing, grammar and verbal communication skills
- Be able to communicate professionally with colleagues, organization members and community leaders
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line containing: Social Media and Communications Intern. Due to the expected volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please.